All postdoctoral scholars will receive the same benefits package regardless of whether they are employed on a principal investigator’s grant, paid from a department account, or are recipients of an externally funded fellowship. The postdoctoral scholar benefits package is designed to closely match the benefits offered to faculty and staff and includes health, dental, vision, life, accidental death and dismemberment, short-term and long-term disability insurance plans. To be considered for appointment as a postdoctoral scholar at the University of Southern California, the individual must qualify as a:
- Postdoctoral Scholar – Research Associate
- Postdoctoral Scholar – Teaching Fellow
- Postdoctoral Scholar – Fellowship Trainee
- Postdoctoral Scholar – Visiting Fellow
Partner and family coverage are also available with HMO, POS and PPO plan options. All postdoctoral scholars on the USC Postdoctoral Benefit Program will be eligible for tuition remission for training-related courses at USC. The USC graduate health insurance plan is not available for postdoctoral scholars.
To enroll or get more information, please visit our benefits and enrollment site.
Period of Eligibility: Postdoctoral Scholars are eligible to enroll 31 days from their appointment start date. Enrollment is NOT automatic.
2019-2020 USC Postdoc Benefits Plan Open Enrollment
June 24th – July 8th, 2019
Available changes during Open Enrollment:
- If you are currently enrolled in the POS medical plan, you may switch to the HMO medical plan (as long as you reside in California).
- If you are currently enrolled in the HMO medical plan, you may switch to the POS medical plan.
- If you are enrolled in the dental HMO plan, you may switch to the dental PPO plan, or vice versa.
- Enroll yourself and/or your eligible dependents if you previously waived.
*If you are not changing your current enrollment status, no action is necessary.*
Please visit our dedicated WEBSITE to make changes to your benefits.