We are now accepting applications for the 2016-2018 cohort of USC Provost’s Postdoctoral Scholars in the Humanities. Please note that candidates who applied last year and wish to apply again must submit a new application.
Candidates must have received their Ph.D. no earlier than July 1, 2012 and must have the degree in hand by July 1, 2016. Scholars who received their doctorates from the University of Southern California are not eligible for the Provost’s Postdoctoral Scholars Program in the Humanities. Non U.S. citizens are eligible to apply for this program.
Candidates should choose one of the following programs as their proposed host department and explain the choice briefly in their cover letter: American Studies, Art History ,Classics, Comparative Literature, Critical Studies (Cinema and Media Studies), East Asian Languages and Cultures, English, French and Italian, History, Musicology, Philosophy, Religion, Slavic Languages and Literatures, and Spanish.
Applicants will be evaluated based on their prior academic accomplishments, the significance and intellectual merit of the proposed project, and their potential to contribute to the intellectual life of their host department and the community of scholars at USC. The Provost expects to make six postdoctoral awards per year.
Applicants should submit
- A finished and complete online application
- A cover letter including explanation of desired program affiliation
- Writing sample of one chapter or one article (up to 30 pages double-spaced)
- Research proposal describing applicant’s plans for the period of the grant. This may include revising the dissertation for publication and/or plans for the candidate’s next academic project (up to three pages double-spaced).
- Teaching statement (up to two pages double-spaced)
Please submit PDF files. Candidates are responsible for ensuring that all accompanying documents are properly uploaded and open correctly.
The Deadline to submit your application is Friday, December 4, 2015 at noon, PST. Start your application.
- In your application, please submit three faculty members who can supply letters of reference directly to USC.
- Referees will be contacted by email and should submit letters of reference electronically by Friday, December 11, 2015, PST. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure they submit accurate email addresses for their referees.
- If you are using a third-party dossier service provider or your institution’s recommendation letter service, please use the ‘electronic delivery’ option. For instance, some third-party dossier service providers assign a unique email address for every referee on your account; please enter this unique email address in the application site, and an email will be sent to the service provider with a request to upload a specific reference letter on your behalf.