University of Southern California USC

Jobs, Funding & Taxes

Finding a Position at USC

Please search the USC Jobs site for Postdoctoral Research Associate positions.  You can search by department or access all postings by entering “postdoctoral research associate” into the “internal title” box in the search option.

Many postdoctoral appointments are listed directly through the department or unit offering the position.  See our list of Schools and Affiliates to search available positions.  You may also wish to directly contact faculty within your area of interest.  The USC experts directory and the general directory may be useful in locating and contacting USC faculty members.

Current Opportunities

Search current openings at USC here. Listing courtesy of the Institute for Broadening Participation (supported by NSF and NASA). A general listing of postdoc positions at other institutions can be found here.

USC Rehabilitation Sciences is currently administering a National Institutes of Health-funded (T32) two-year postdoctoral training program that provides intensive, mentored training in randomized controlled methodology for the evaluation of complex rehabilitation interventions.  See the program website for more information.

The Center for Education, Training, and Career Development is currently offering pre and postdoctoral 2-year awards for individuals working to acquire the scientific competencies necessary to perform clinical and translational research. For more information, contact Program Administrator Jeanne Dzekov at 323-442-4043 or at Online applications are available here.


Postdoctoral scholars are typically supported on research projects or training grants, with USC stipends, with or external stipends or fellowships. Current USC policy designates a minimum salary of $47,476 per year (12 months) for all newly hired and renewed postdoctoral appointees.

Information about institutional training grants and other internal sources of funding can frequently be found through the Keck Research Update, which provides a list of funding opportunities and other announcements relevant to postdoctoral scholars.  The Office of Research also keeps a list of funding opportunities here.

External agencies, such as the NIH, NSF and EPA, also offer funding to postdoctoral scholars.  It is the responsibility of the scholar to confirm with their department all financial support provided by external agencies.  The Office of Research has proposal and grant writing guidelines from those three organizations available, along with information on workshops and training that help grant writers.

Finally, the Fulbright Scholar Program, an international educational exchange program sponsored by the U.S. government, can be a good source of funding for domestic scholars interested in teaching or doing research abroad, or for international students in need of grant funding to perform research or teach in the United States.  Domestic students who are interested in the Fulbright Scholar Program should contact Judy Garner at 323-442-1619 or at  International students should contact the Fulbright office in their home country.

Tax Information

The USC Office of Postdoctoral Affairs does not offer tax or legal advice.  You should contact a qualified tax professional or lawyer for advice.  Information from the National Postdoctoral Association can be found here.